Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
Across the world, humans have effected dramatic change upon the seas.Though our dependency on sea is absolute in many ways:
• Over three billion people depend on marine and coastal biodiversity for their livelihoods
• Oceans contain nearly 200,000 identified species, but actual numbers may lie in the millions
• Globally, the market value of marine and coastal resources and industries is estimated at $3 trillion per year or about 5 per cent of global GDP
• Oceans absorb about 30 per cent of carbon dioxide produced by humans, buffering the impacts of global warming
• Oceans serve as the world’s largest source of protein, with more than 3 billion people depending on the oceans as their primary source of protein
• Marine fisheries directly or indirectly employ over 200 million people.
So, its important to conserve and sustainably use the world’s oceans, seas and marine resources
To know more details, click here.
Listen to Peter Thomson, the United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean, on why ocean action is a key part of climate change.
Download Framework for Marine Protected Areas here.
Upcoming Event : The World Ocean Summit 2018
The event is to find out what will SDG14, which pledges to “conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources,” mean for businesses operating in the ocean? The fifth World Ocean Summit will be held at Riviera Maya, Mexico, on March 7th-9th 2018 and will grapple with some of the ocean’s most intractable problems–and explore new possibilities.
Find more details here.
To know more on UAE Govt’s initiative on SDG goal 14, click here.