In 2015, countries adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Why this Goal?
Basic infrastructure like roads, information and communication technologies, sanitation, electrical power and water remains scarce in many developing countries.
1-1.5 billion people do not have access to reliable phone services
Quality infrastructure is positively related to the achievement of social, economic and political goals
How does lack of infrastructure affect communities?
• Inadequate infrastructure leads to a lack of access to markets, jobs, information and training, creating a major barrier to doing business
• Undeveloped infrastructures limits access to health care and education.
• For many African countries, particularly the lower-income countries, the existent constraints regarding infrastructure affect firm productivity by around 40 per cent.
• Small and medium-sized enterprises that engage in industrial processing and manufacturing are the most critical for the early stages of industrialization and are typically the largest job creators. They make up over 90 per cent of business worldwide and account for between 50-60 per cent of employment.
• Middle-income countries can benefit from entering the basic and fabricated metals industries, which offer a range of products facing rapidly growing international demand
For more information, click here.
In the recent past, the visionary leaders of the UAE have announced several initiatives and policies in building infrastructure, developing industrialisation and pioneering innovation.To know more on UAE Govt’s initiative on SDG goal 9, click here.