In 2015, the international community adopted a set of 17 goals as part of a new global agenda on sustainable development.
GOAL 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Energy is central to nearly every major challenge and opportunity the world faces today. Be it for jobs, security, climate change, food production or increasing incomes, access to energy for all is essential.There is a huge energy requirement and it has to be met by sourcing clean and renewable energy as:
• One in five people still lacks access to modern electricity
• 3 billion people rely on wood, coal, charcoal or animal waste for cooking and heating
• Energy is the dominant contributor to climate change, accounting for around 60 per cent of total global greenhouse gas emissions
• Reducing the carbon intensity of energy is a key objective in long-term climate goals.
• Since 1990, global emissions of CO2 have increased by more than 46 per cent.
• Hydropower is the largest single renewable electricity source today, providing 16% of world electricity at competitive prices. It dominates the electricity mix in several countries, developed, emerging or developing.
• Bioenergy is the single largest renewable energy source today, providing 10% of world primary energy supply.
To know why affordable and clean energy matters, click here.
What would it cost to switch to more sustainable energy?
The world needs to triple its investment in sustainable energy infrastructure per year, from around $400 billion now to $1.25 trillion by 2030.
Did you know?
Over 1.2 billion people—one in five people of the world’s population— do not have access to electricity. The majority are concentrated in about a dozen countries in Africa and Asia.
Goal 7 target by 2030:
• Ennsure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
• Increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
• Double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
• Enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology
• Expand infrastructure and upgrade technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
To know more on UAE Govt’s initiative on SDG goal 7, click here.