Home » Eco Life » Young Voices » A Poem on Wild Fires of Valparaiso by Taha Hussain

A Poem on Wild Fires of Valparaiso by Taha Hussain

2017 has been the most expensive year for US wild fires, with damages topping $10 billion! (source: NOAA Scientist Adam Smith)
The December 2017 fires forced over 200,000 people to evacuate, with the 6 largest fires burning over 170,000 acres. That is an area larger than the city of Philadelphia. After a week of raging wildfires in California, Gov. Jerry Brown called the wildfires as -This is your new normal. But is it normal to get wildfires?
As many as 90 percent of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans. Some human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, negligently discarded cigarettes and intentional acts of arson. The remaining 10 percent are started by lightning or lava. Wildfire behaviour and severity result from the combination of factors such as available fuels, physical setting, and weather

Wildfires can occur anywhere and can destroy homes, businesses, infrastructure, natural resources, and agriculture. If you live in a area prone to wild life, check this site for more safety related information.

Here is poem on wild fires Valparaiso that forced thousands to evacuate, destroyed at least 2,500 homes, and leaving 11,000 people homeless. An additional 6,000 people were evacuated from the city, which was placed on red alert and declared a disaster zone. At least 15 people were confirmed killed and ten suffered serious injuries.

Wild Fires of Valparaiso

“The day was as beautiful as a Lili.
Until the Great Fire Happened in Chile,
People were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
Down the street, people were rushing by,
It was a crowd, and I was about to cry,
I saw that people were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
There was a big fire,
It was rising higher,
More people were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
The government was under big stress,
The Great fire had made a huge mess,
More than five thousand people were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
Many people were dying,
Their family members were crying,
because they were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
The last fire in Chile burnt my house and my mother,
I didn’t want the same thing to happen to my brother,
Many people were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
I saved my brother, but he was wounded,
I took him, and together we sprinted,
The fire was making lots of people homeless,
Now their houses were worthless.
I just wanted me and him to get out of this city,
He was in panic so to make things calm I sang a ditty,
Many people were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
He inhaled some smoke and fell sick,
I needed to get to the hospital quick,
People were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
It was too late for my brother,
It was a tough time, and It made me suffer,
People were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless.
Little brother and my mother, I’ll see you in heaven,
From here I’ll give you tons of blessing,
People were left homeless,
Their houses were now worthless”.

Poem by:  Syed Taha Hussain.
Age: 12years
Class: 8th
School:Emirates International School Meadows

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

Sustainable Development Goals in the Storylines of the Animated Children’s Television Series

The United Nations and Mattel, Inc., today announced at MIPJunior in Cannes, France, details of ...