A Strategy for the Ocean into COP23 – Towards an Ocean Inclusive UNFCCC Process
A COP23 Presidency ocean initiative, the Ocean Pathway embodies the important relationship between the Ocean and Climate Change.
• Affirms the Call for Action from the UN Ocean Conference,
• Flags the possibility of a UNFCCC agenda item and a work programme by 2019 and ensures the insertion of the ocean into NDCs,
• Enhances the opportunity to support ocean health and maintain critical ocean ecosystems from current and emerging climate change funding under the UNFCCC,
• Supports existing priorities that affect and are impacted by ocean and climate including: sustainable transport, cities and human settlements, population displacement and migration, coastal infrastructure, marine ecosystem services, ocean food security and ocean energy,
• Strengthens mobilization and cooperation of the Parties for the conservation and enhancement of the resilience of ocean under the UNFCCC, and links existing ocean activities and partnerships through the introduction of the Oceans Pathway Partnership.
For the full schedule of Ocean Pathway events during COP23, click here